February 7, 2011

Week 3 - Day 1.....

I got up running today with a list in my head of what I wanted to accomplish. I had my water and then my coffee and I was off.  It wasn't until later in the day when I was feeling super sluggish (i.e slow, tired and hard to concentrate) that I realized it had been several hours since I had gotten any nourishment. Actually coffee doesn't count as nourishment so I was low on water and depleted of nutrition from the get-go. Not smart!

While my girls ate peanut butter cups in the car, I chewed on a honey stick. Then in the grocery store a deli worker had a sampler table set out of some really good cheese. I didn't ask for more than one sample but she loaded me up with a handful when I commented that the cheese was really tasty. I must have looked pathetic but I was grateful.

I concocted left overs for my family and then stared at the contents of my refrigerator trying to figure out what sustenance I was going to put in my body. The problem was nothing looked good.  The thought of food was yuck. Funny how that is happening. There was a time not so long ago that if I went 3 hours without shoving a morsel of carbohydrate in my mouth then I would feel hunger pains and think I might pass out. So dramatic. Now if I go without food I desire nothing at all.

I knew I needed something so I opted for a smoothie drink with my new blender.  I thought about wanting to try those smoothie recipes I bookmarked the other day but I kept hearing my beach friend in my head say, "Anything goes good in a blender or juicer. Don't worry about ingredients. No pressure. Just have fun playing."

Brace yourself for what I drank because I threw in much of the left over veggies from Saturday's birthday party. My drink consisted of a chard leaf, part of a cucumber, a few cherry tomatoes, a handful of carrots and a couple of small yellow bell peppers with some ice and water.

A month ago I would have balked at the idea of such a drink and told myself I was crazy through a fit of laughter. But truly, it was really good and I enjoyed every single drop of it.  It is so interesting how my perspective is changing without me fighting it. It used to be that when I talked with people who proclaimed to be vegetarian or vegan, I would feel so sad for them and not understand at all; as if they were in some sort of a self made prison. I couldn't imagine how produce could make someone feel content enough to turn down that cheeseburger and chocolate shake chaser.

Right now I am feeling such a sense of power and self awareness in being able to say, "No thank you" to different foods without having to wrestle with myself to make the words come out.

My husband kissed me tonight and told me that I am looking more firm. I questioned him because the scale is not moving right now. His reply was that the jiggly is becoming firm and he likes. Blush, blush, blush.....but I am so grateful for his support. He is not making faces at what I eat and he is even venturing to taste what I throw in the blender.

Thank you God!

 Be completely blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment