July 19, 2013

Day 12....Get Rid of Those Fruit Flies

This morning's ingredients
This morning I chose a super easy recipe and did the volume for 2 drinks. They say that juicing and drinking right away is best to maximize the nutrients offered. Things break down over time. But really, the nutrients start changing in produce as soon as it is removed from growing in its original life source state.  There was a time in my life where that thought made me feel defeated.

Why bother at all then? Here is why....despite the fact that I don't have my own garden or even buy a majority of my produce organically (shocking I know); I am experiencing change and my body is loving every bit of it.

When I am making 4-6 juices in a day for myself (and double that for my husband), I don't want to assemble and then clean my juicer each time. The solution is to make a few juices at once and then immediately cover them and put them in the fridge where they are in a cold dark environment. This limits exposure to atmosphere elements and slows down change.

Yesterday my daughter spied a huge loaf of sweet raisin bread that she wanted while we were at the produce market. She toasted two slices as soon as we got home. While it is true that the first smell of toasting bread made me sigh and desire; that lasted less than a minute. Instead I enjoyed and actually preferred a tasty sweet plum. Before juicing, I would have helped myself to that bread, lathered butter on it and probably eaten half the loaf before the end of the night.

This morning's juice is: 2 grannys, 2 oranges, 6 big handfuls of spinach

Looking at these pictures, you may wonder what that little dish of liquid is next to my platter of limes. It is an easy solution to combat fruit flies. I read somewhere that fruit flies lay their eggs in the skin of produce. As the food ripens, the eggs hatch and they have a buffet to live on. I don't know if it is 100% true but it makes sense to me and those little flies seem to materialize out of thin air. So I make up a fresh dish ever few days and leave it on my counter always. Whether I see flies in the air or not, within a half hour I am sure to have 4-6 drowned flies in the bowl.

Fruit Fly Riddence Recipe
a little bit of apple cider vinegar in a small bowl. (I use a custard dish.)
a dash of liquid dish soap on the top of the vinegar
No need to stir. Just change it out when it gets cloudy in a couple of days.

The smell of the vinegar is highly attractive to their taste buds even when fresh produce is around. The dish soap makes them slippery so they can't get out. Ugh sounds inhumane to describe it but I don't want flies all over my food. My husband teases that I am cruel. But those little things are too hard to catch and release out doors and really he doesn't like flies either. I guess I can be the bad guy. :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment