August 12, 2013

Day 36.....Figs and Cake

I have a new fixation.....figs!
Maybe my mom would say different but I can't recall ever eating a fig before. I have had fig preserves. That was a favorite of my daddy. But he grew up in the south where figs seem to be prominent. Up here in the northern woods where I live now, I never hear of someone picking, growing, buying or preserving figs.

So I was intrigued when I stopped off at the local produce market and they had a sampler tray out with Dakota Figs on it.

Wow! Wow! Wow! They are sweet with a hint of tart and soft. They are the perfect pack and go snack. They are small enough that one could technically be popped whole in your mouth. But you can bite it away to savor the moment too. It doesn't need to be peeled and the varieties even come in different colors of green, red and purple so your eyes get a delight as well. I bet they would taste yummy cut up thin and placed on a rice cracker.

And actually those who know me will be shocked that I am saying this. But I am currently enjoying the taste of figs way more than the few bites of chocolate cake I had yesterday.

There I was in the kitchen, 5 weeks of no soy, gluten, processed flour or sugar and no dairy. I was making a gluten free chocolate cake for my 4 yr old niece's birthday. I had cut the tip top off of the cake to level it and no one was home to enjoy. I didn't hide or sneak or cheat. I simply wanted to see what would happen if I sampled it after being without anything for so long. Boy was I shocked. Not only did it not taste amazing like I remembered; but I started sneezing like crazy and got really congested. So weird! For 5 weeks I had no sinus issues and then BAM! It was GF so it couldn't have been that. It must have been the processed flour and sugar in the cake mix.  

Boy did I learn a lesson. Later in the afternoon when everyone else was enjoying cake; I said a big no thank you and sipped away on my healthy refreshing dessert drink. I did a mixture of watermelon, blueberries, apple and celery with a big branch of basil. Yum! That sure hit the spot nicely.

In every day and every way....Celebrating God's goodness!

No comments:

Post a Comment