January 31, 2011

Week 2 - Day 1.....


 Here I sit at my computer, winding down with a bowl of dried fruit and tea steeping in the cup my dad bought for me so many months ago. (How I do miss him.....)

It was a good day. It is getting really easy for me to throw a couple of snacks in my purse as I head out the door for whatever reason.  I find it is really important to always have something on hand, even if just a honey stick, because 'hungry' hits hard and fast.  There is no, "hmm maybe I might possibly be hungry soon".  I am sure that will change over time.

I have to admit that dinner smelled really good tonight when I served my family their casserole and I set my big salad in front of me.  But I am glad I held out.  The longing didn't last long and I know I would have felt so unsatisfied had I given into the moment.  Once I bit into one of my fresh bell peppers I was very happy.

I am realizing that much of my food habits and tastes stem from emotions and association rather than true hunger and desire. It is the craving of emotional satisfaction rather than a body craving.

I was reading a How To Start Raw Foods manual today and it said to never ever expect yourself to go cold turkey. Instead, give yourself plenty of leeway in transitioning a step at a time.
I had to laugh at myself. It takes me absolutely forever to make a decision to do something. But once I start for real, I charge into the wind with my head down.  I know that the slow approach is smart and healthy; easy on the body with less shock. But I know me. If I did it the slow way I would get bored. I would look for subtle ways to cheat or stretch out the time in between steps.....eventually losing momentum all together and then giving up; consequently feeling the full brunt of a failure.

My dear friend that first got my head to slowly brewing all those years ago with the idea of switching to raw foods sent me an email today that encouraged me.  She said she was proud of me and then agreed with my thoughts on that whole shaking tremor things being a huge with drawl wave because she remembered doing the same thing.  It is good to know that the shakes weren't an odd thing; not that I was worried but it is comforting all the same.

I had a thought today when it hit about 4pm that made me laugh.  I felt that wave of hunger and I figured I had better eat a bowl of grain cereal to g4t my fiber in.  Then I realized that with all the produce I have around here there is no reason at all for me to be concerned that my fiber comes only from grain cereal.  It was another mental shift. I actually have so much produce in the house that there are too many choice things to eat in one day.

Okay, I must get ready for bed.
You have a blessed and wonderful destiny filled day.
Thank You God for enabling me to have another successful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment